Maintaining the safety of your swimming pool area is a responsibility you must undertake as a pool owner. Whether you’re considering building a pool on your property or you’ve already got one installed, it’s essential that you comply with your state’s specific pool fencing regulations and laws.
Non-compliant pool fencing can contribute to the drownings of children below 5 years of age that could be prevented, which makes it all the more important for you to protect young children by following the regulations and taking all the necessary safety precautions.
Please note that the pool fencing laws discussed here is only for Western Australia, considering that the laws vary amongst other states and territories.
Pool fencing laws
The requirements for pool fencing vary according to when your pool was built.
- Pools built before May 2016: Pool fences must comply with the Regulations and Australian Standard AS 1926.1-1993 as the minimum standard. This means compliance with existing requirements.
- Pools built after May 2016: Pool fences should comply with the Regulations and Building Code of Australia, with reference to Australian Standard AS 1926.1-2012 and AS 1926.2-2007.
Here are the specific laws that apply to Western Australia:
- For new pools, you’ll need to get a building permit before installing a pool.
- Compliant pool fencing is required for all pools filled with a depth of water that’s more than 300mm.
- There mustn’t be a door anywhere that can be used to access the pool, unless it’s permanently sealed.
- The pool fencing should be made of durable materials.
Dimensions and measurements
In Western Australia, a pool fence must:
- Be at least 1200mm tall above ground level.
- Have gates that open away from the pool area and close automatically with a self-locking latch.
- Not have anything climbable placed within 1100mm of the fence, such as trees, furniture, BBQs, and so on.
- If there are any boundary fences used as part of the pool safety barrier, these should be erected vertically or leaning no more than 15 degrees.
Glass pool fencing
If you’re looking to build a swimming pool on your Western Australian property, you’ll find extensive glass pool fencing
and balustrade solutions at Trade Glass Depot, a very proud Australian owned and operated company. All of our products are of the highest quality while maintaining competitive prices. And the quality of our products is matched only by our customer service.
So if you have any queries about pool fencing and want to make sure it’s compliant with Western Australian regulations, call us today on 1300 889 375 or send an email to [email protected]
When you contact us, you should expect to talk to someone knowledgeable and who’ll be more than happy to help you with your pool fencing needs. You can also visit the WA Department of Commerce website
for the most current and up-to-date information on pool fencing laws and regulations in Western Australia.